Monday, March 17, 2008

tumblr v twitter

Well, after reading some of the suggested articles I took a pass on twitter. Just another 2.0 tool that no one else I know uses, so why create yet another account? The few library uses I read about are only useful for fellow twitter account holders, and although it seems to be taking the tech world by storm, I don't get the impression there are a ton of twitter-ers in the 'Couve and surrounding areas. We could do just as well with more frequent emails (and MySpace bulletins) about events, new books, etc. Or even text message reminders and updates! Now there's something even my father uses.
I did sign up for a tumblr account and added a couple bits of non-sense. I can see keeping up with it as a more visual, entertaining del.icio.us. In terms of library uses I can envision several tumblr-style blogs available for patrons providing reliable links on varying topics, much as our website already does but in a cooler format, and updated more often. Maybe patrons interested in certain topics, like local business people, would even subscribe to the feed. Or is that too 'recreating the wheel'?

No comments: